Thursday, 13 March 2014

Out with the old...


I think I may have had a bit of an epiphany, if that’s the right word to use?
I bought a magazine a couple of days ago, of which I've been a reader of for a few years now and put it on my desk ready to read later that day. Cue three or four days later and I've only just had a quick flick through its pages and a skim read of an article or two before putting it back down and picking up my phone to check twitter. I've come to realise that the magazine I have been buying for the last few years doesn't really interest me any more and when I think about it, hasn’t done for at least the last few months, so why have I continued buying it?

I think it’s all down to habit and I seem to manage to pick up habits quite easily. Whether that be wearing the same pair of shoes every day for a month straight or having the exact same thing for breakfast every day until I can’t stand it anymore and that is basically what I’ve done with this magazine. Two years ago the magazine was my favourite monthly read and I would sit down for an hour or two and read it cover to cover, but that was two years ago. I’ve grown and changed dramatically in that time, so my interests aren’t what they used to be.  For instance, being totally honest, I couldn’t care less about fancy nail art, as I rarely even bother painting mine as nail varnish damages my nails and half the products in said magazine aren’t cruelty free, so I have no interest in buying them. 

I’ve come to the conclusion that I need to break all of the habits I’ve got into that are no longer necessary or beneficial to me. I quit smoking two months ago, so if I can break that habit, I should be able to break others. 

From now on, I’m not going to buy magazines just because I've always bought them, but buy ones that genuinely interest me through their cover lines and content. I'm going to stop living in my doc marten boots and dust off my pair of brogues that are in perfect condition despite being a couple of years old. I’m going to try my hardest to experience new things and avoiding getting stuck in a rut.

Out with the old and in with the new, as they say. 

No comments:

Post a Comment